Monday, August 07, 2006

A few good trowels

Colonel Lowry: You want the trowel?!

Hod-Carrier First class Adam:
I think I'm entitled to it.

Colonel Lowry:
You want this trowel?!

Hod-Carrier First class Adam: I want the trowel!!!

Colonel Lowry: You can't handle the trowel!!! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be covered in cultured stone! Who's gonna do it? You? You, Hod-Carrier Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for your calluses and you curse the Masons. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that laying stone while less physically difficult, is harder than hell!! And hod-carrying, while grotesque and detestable to you, is much easier!! You don't want the trowel because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like Mud, Rock, and Scaffolding. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent building something. You use them as a cussword. I have neither the time nor the inclination to lend my trowel to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the cultured stone that I install, and then questions the manner in which I install it! I would rather you just said, "Thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a shovel and carry a hod. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!!!

Hod-Carrier First class Adam: Can I lay stone on this wall?

Colonel Lowry: you can do the job you’ve been hired to do.

Hod-Carrier First class Adam: Can I lay stone on that wall?!

Colonel Lowry: (shouting) You're dog-gone tootin’ right you can!!

[stunned silence]

Hod-Carrier First class Adam:
Please the jobsite, I suggest the foreman be dismissed, so that we can move to an immediate article 39A session. The colonel has the right to not see the mess I am about to make…

6 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam!
I read your post everyone here at home in MT and they officially think you are hilarious! My mom said, "he has so many ideas!" They hadn't read your whiskers on kittens post yet, so I sang it to them and they also thought that post was Most Excellent! I love you sweetie pie! Sleep Sweet!

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny. You can't HANDLE the trowel! :)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Nantie Meg said...

I can handle the trowel, I know I can!!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

You crack me up, Jack...um...Adam.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be able to handle the, er, trowel. But that was before my brain got turned into a Scientology milkshake. Mmm, with extra chunks of Thetan.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Grammy said...

Everyone, no matter what their station in life, envies the trowel. So glad you got your chance to weild it.

Deep in my heart - I always knew you were "trowel-worthy". You go, son!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home