Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Why me? Wednesday: No super-sleuths allowed!!

I love signs. They tell me good things that I should do. I went to Washington over the weekend with my family for a reunion. I had a birthday along the ride as well. I was surrounded by signs the whole time. Open your eyes anywhere you are all day and chances are there is a helpful sign somewhere to let you know where to go, what behavior is currently appropriate, and what creatures you can expect to cross the road etc. etc. etc. For example, this one clearly indicates a snake zone up ahead.
But sometimes, there are bad signs. I went to a national park in Washington and saw this.

Now imagine you are a Chinese private investigator who spoke no English whatsoever. What would you think this sign was prohibiting. That's right!! The picture looks nothing like any dog I have ever seen. It much more closely resembles some sort of stylized detective outline. The only thing missing is the magnifying glass poised intently before the clearly pictured "Sherlock Holmes" large-billed cap. Thanks to this sign, some Chinese detective is likely to leave the park, dejected, and believing the US parks department to be anti-sleuth!! Most likely he would leave, muttering some Chinese dialect's expression that means..."Why me!?"

4 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Oh, I am so glad you posted that sign. It is even worse than I imagined.

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) You are hilarious, and I'm so glad you joined my blogging buddies.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Grammy said...

You make me laugh (in a good way!) I swear that I also I thought for sure that was a picture of Sherlock! So glad we are on the same page.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious! So true on that last one--it doesn't look at all like a dog. It maybe looks most like a duck, but that's only if you squint your eyes, tip your head, and use a LOT of imagination.

I got it: No space aliens allowed. That's what the sign really says--or at least the picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home