Sunday, October 08, 2006

Crossing Guards

Here is an interesting memory that I do not recall remembering before.

When I was a young boy my older sisters or at least one of them, by virtue of higher grades, whiter teeth or least smelly pre-pubescent armpits was honored with the status of Midnapore Elementary School crossing guard. As I remember it this status accorded them a reflective vest or sash or something. I am unsure if I ever voiced my opinion of this honor to them or not. I do remember eye-rolls and snorts of derision being a part of my response when I learned of these extra-curricular activities. This reaction was certainly a result of jealousy on my part. Not until this week did I realize just how jealous I had been.

I was in my favorite part of PT on Thursday...That's right, the part near the end. We had finished the awful mat-room portion. We had run around three miles of our run. Never in my life would I have guessed that I would enjoy that portion of the workout. But I married a wonderful woman.

I struggle with PT a lot. I don't like getting yelled at. It hurts me...Right in the feelings. The feelings hurt worse than the arms, legs, groin, feet, hands, neck, head, ear-lobes, teeth and hair follicles. However, the instructors are the worst to those who fall behind on the run.
It is these times when I find myself up in the front of the formation along side the standard bearers and section leaders that I love my better third more than ever before. She reaches across hundreds of miles and shields me from the instructors' sharp feeling-rending insults and curses. How does she do this? She taught me to run. I credit her entirely for this (dare-I-say) blissful half hour of PT when I am working hard and hurting, but my feelings are just fine.

But what does this have to do with crossing guards? Friday, in PT the instructor stepped it up a bit towards the middle and again in the last third. My stalwart companions began to fall out and I worked my way to the third place in the formation. There were only about 5 or 6 of us in what could still be called a formation. We slowed and circled to allow the rest of the class to catch up, however briefly, and we continued on. When marching in formation the section leader or instructor will call for "road guards" to run forward and block the traffic. (Men marching or running in formation always have the right of way on base) Usually this job is done by the last rank, but when the formation is running the second rank takes this responsibility(cuz the back of the column is a half a mile behind). Friday because I was right up front, that was me. I sprinted forward with pride and stalwartly assumed the proper position. This means spreading my bulging(and slightly trembling) legs in a firm and ready stance, stretching one hand straight out in front of me, as if to hold back the inbound tons of steel and rubber by main force alone, and as a show of my invincibility, I fold my off hand calmly in the small of my back. I only need one hand to stop you puny mortal contraptions.

After the entire class, including those riding the med-shed gator, had passed I got to sprint again to regain my place at the front. I then realized...I like being a crossing guard. I was reeeaally really jealous of my sisters and their prestige. I coveted their position so much that I subconsciously chose a profession that is essentially just that of a glorified international crossing guard. Granted, there are some subtle differences. My stop sign says stop on both sides. I get to search passing students for drugs and weapons. My sisters got sweet sashes and vests. I get a camel back, a badge, a wonderful assortment of weapons, and this...Lisa prefers the pose with the smile. My instructors seem partial to the other one. Either way, It will look a lot more impressive with the real pistol instead of the red rubber training pistol you see there, and lets not forget the shiny gold badge that Lisa will pin on me in less than 4 months when I graduate.

8 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!! If I recall, I told you that you would do great! Thanks for letting me teach you a few things. I feel as though I learn so many things from you, it is nice to give back to someone I receive so much from. I love you like crazy.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Being near the front is fabulous. I will never understand why men think they have to yell and be mean and nasty when it comes to training in groups or military style. Do you suppose Moroni was like that with his armies?

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

You look awesome. My stop sign had 2 sides, by the way. I'm glad to know you're finally getting in touch with your true feelings about this. It's important to dig deep in order to find healing. :)

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Jodi Jean said...

wow, that jealously led to your life choices many many years later, now that's what i call a complex

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam, looking good brother. Just don't wear a shoulder holster because you envy other special equipment your sisters had and you didn't! Love ya man! Stay safe and stay well! long live the exclamation point!!!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Not Too Pensive said...

Adam,

I'm going to find a way to work that second photo into the labs office... photos will follow.

Glad to hear you're surviving! Keep it up!

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I tell you how HOT you look in your crossing guard uniform? Yet another fabulous post!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Grammy said...

I hate it when they hurt my baby "in the feelings". But I'm glad you're doing well. You make a very handsome, impressive (and yes, a little bit scary) crossing guard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home