Monday, August 21, 2006

Country Music

Country music...

How to define it? One might also ask why...Cuz it's late, and definitions are easy posts.

I grew up in western Canada. I was aware of country music's existence, but it was always too un-cool to explore. Vanilla Ice, 2 Unlimited, and Lenny Kravitz were all acceptable. But if it even sounded like country you could not listen to it.

But then, in 1994, I moved to Texas. Country music was no longer off limits for anyone wishing to one day be cool. It was even likely that a cool person would listen to, and even sing along with, country music!!![/shock and horror]

Thus I was exposed for the first time to the influences of country music. In Canada; being exposed to country music was like having a man in a trench coat, throw it open and expose his "country music" to you. It was forbidden and appalling, and you did your best to avoid people in trench coats.

In Texas, however, exposure to country music was more like inhaling spores from a nearby fungus plant. It was almost un-noticeable because of it's commonness and subtlety. Yes, country music is like a fungus. It grows on you whether you like it or not, and once it is there, good luck getting it off.

I type before you today, however unwillingly it may have come about, a changed man. A true convert to country music. I love it with my wholly infected soul. Good messages, sweet harmonies and charismatic artists are easily found. If I had the cure I would not take it, for I like my disease, and will likely do so for the rest of my life.

11 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love my disease! In highschool dad would listen to county music and I would screach in pain and instantly insist that we change the station, now some of the words make me cry because they are so sweet.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I love the way you describe it as a fungus and disease. I am thoroughly infected.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It serves DYM right to have a brother that so loves the country music. I too am a country music fan. LOVE it.

My master plan was to give the disease to my husband after we got married, then infect with our children with it as well. After 8 years of marriage, he is still showing no signs of weakness. Some people really DO have the ability to not be effected, the punks.

And wow. I just read my last paragraph. That sounds...bad. Oh well!

Yay for entering the world of blog.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I am from PA and country music was not something the cool kids listened to, well you are right Texas is all about it and after spending sometime with family and friends in Texas country music is catching. I actually enjoy it!

Kathryn directed us to your site!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

I used to think that country music was something to laugh at.....now I listen to it all the time at work and in the car. I love it. And yes, it is like a disease!

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Grammy said...

I am essentially cheaP! I do not like to waste anything! So it was the free tickets to a Vince Gill concert that got me. (After we moved to Texas, of course.) I also like that country has become more rocking and less twangy. (I'm still not really into the twang!)

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger OneCrazyMomma said...

I love country music! I have finally figured out that it's because you can understand the words and most often sing along. The artists that top the country charts are truly talented.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Shalee said...

I grew up in Tennessee and still I resisted. But when I moved to Nebraska, I had to do some county work for the census and there are dirt roads EVERYWHERE. Being that I was in the truck, I thought country fit the scheme of things. I've got the bug too, and I don't think I'll be looking for a cure, either, especially when some of the words are down right beautiful and patriotic and aren't afraid to mention God in a non-cussing, He is real sense.

Singing along with you,

Shalee, who is here by way of that wonderful older sis of yours...

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was converted by my students at school, but my architect "country is not cool" husband was so opposed to it!! I have now caught him listening all by himself 3 times! Busted.

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew, my husband, is also infected by this disease. He opens up to me, and so I knew about it, but his brothers just finally found out, and the taunting is endless. One of them even threatened never to speak to him again. We need to change this society so that those infected by this disease don't need to be so shunned and ridiculed.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught the illness, too. :) It's so dang lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home