Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Why me? Wednesday - Wrong numbers...

Kay..so. I have a number that is very similar to a hotel in Provo.

Every now and again the hotel has a promotion and for the next two weeks I will receive 1-2 calls everyday from people who abruptly hang up when I answer or wait for a second and then ask lamely..."Is this the Double Tree Hotel?"

To this I usually respond. "No Sir/ma'am. I am afraid you have the wrong number." However, this degree of civility is becoming more difficult to maintain.

This is my first experience waiting for a phone call that will decide some key aspects of the next several years of my life. So understandably when I receive a call from an out of state number I anxiously open the phone and try to keep my croaking, "Hello?" from sounding too eager.

I have received around a dozen phone calls from the above mentioned seekers of lodging in the last week since I received the letter. Frustration abounds.

I have a standardized response when I hear someone ask "why me?" I respond, "Because God is testing you to see if you will ask 'why me'....and you fail.

I recognize the test and have yet to shriek obscenities at the sweet little old ladies whose only sin was pressing a wrong button...but I am getting closer to asking "Why Me?!"

5 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You no that no matter how annoyed you are, you could never yell at the wrong number callers. You're just to much like a teddy bear! I love you!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Grammy said...

My Mom had a similar problem. Back "in the day" of roatary dial phones, our number was 2229 the Deptford police department was 2220. This was usually not a problem. But every Sunday morning around 2:00 Mom got a call from a Drunk named Ed whose wife had locked his enibriated butt out of the house. For weeks she tried explaining that he had gotten a wrong number. But eventually she began responding, "Sure thing, Ed. A patrol car is on the way."

That way she could get rid of him in a hurry and go back to sleep. I've often wondered what became of Ed.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm... that would be aggravating. But my favorite part of this post is your answer to the question, Why me? It appears that I have never asked you this question. Too bad, though, because I might have had a good laugh in a moment of self-pity. Love you.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

I still think your mom is funny. And two of my friends in the dorms, back in the day, had a number that was one digit off from Pizza Hut. Their answering machine message said, "This is NOT Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut's number is ..." It would be really funny to answer any out-of-state number as if you WERE the hotel, then tell them you'll transfer them to the person you need and then HANG UP. And then don't answer when they call back.

But of course that would be significantly UN-funny when the call was, you know, "the call."

Sorry for the frustration and the waiting!!

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Sorry man. I think you can yell at those old ladies if you like. Old ladies can take it and if I were you, my head would be about to explode.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home